The mines of this company are designated as numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9, and are located on Sections 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15, Township 28 North, Range 20 East. Mines 4, 5, 8 and 9 were closed during 1929 on account of over production.
The mines are opened on the Raton or Blossberg seam. The angle of dip is 1 degree and the direction of dip is north 75 degrees west. A uniform system of working is adopted at all the mines. Mines are worked on room and pillar plan with modifications under certain conditions. Double entries are driven and in some instances tripple entries are driven. Each section opened by an entry has its own split of air. Stoppings and air bridges are built of concrete and steel. All working places are furnished with water lines and supplied with hose. The miner is required to keep the coal thoroughly wet down before shoveling it into the pit car. Sprays are installed on the partings and the loaded cars are wet down before starting for the outside. All mining machines are supplied with water lines and water runs onto the cutter bar while cutting the coal. The haulage roads and aircourses and all the rooms up to within 25 feet of the face are kept rock dusted and rock dust barriers are erected at all junctions with cross entries. No electrical installations are permitted on the return air. All the sub-stations in the mines are of concrete and steel construction, and all doors are fire proofed. Closed lights of the Edison electric type are used by the workmen and the Wolff flame safety lamp is used by the fire bosses in testing for gas. All mines are equipped with telephones and the telephones are installed in damp proof boxes and the telephones kept in working order at all times.
The mines are equipped with fans designed to meet the needs of the particular mine where used, and proper passages are provided in the mine to conduct the volume of air required without too great velocity. Each panel receives fresh air from the outside and after it has passed through the section it is carried direct into the main return airway and carried out of the mine.
The mines worked 194.4 days during the year with an average of 268 miners and 88 day men under ground and 118 men on top. The total tonnage for the year was 445,903 tons. The machines cut 112,251 tons. 2,947 tons were used in operating the mines. 440,263 tons of coal were sold in the markets of Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona. Approximate value of the coal sold is given as $1,-349,915.00. 25,044 pounds of permissible powder was used to break down the coal. All shots are fired by electricity from the outside after all men are out of the mine.
Stag Canon Branch, Dawson, New Mexico
G. C. Davis, Manager, Dawson, New Mexico
Scott Dupont, General Superintendent, Dawson, New Mexico
1. "PHELPS DODGE CORPORATION", Nineteenth Annual Report of the State Inspector of Coal Mines to the Governor of New Mexico, New Mexico, 1930, Pages 25-26.