In March, 1798, "An act for establishing an academy in the town of Milton, by the name of Milton Academy," passed the General Court of Massachusetts.
On September 9, 1807, the Academy was opened for instruction, and, except that on several occasions school was suspended for comparatively short periods of time, it continued open until 1866. In that year the town of Milton established a high school, offering free instruction; and, since there was no need in Milton for two schools, the Academy was closed, and the Academy building was leased to the Town. The Board of Trustees, however, remained throughout the succeeding years of suspension complete in numbers and organization.
In 1879 at the annual meeting of the Trustees a committee was named to solicit funds for the purpose of reopening the Academy. As a result, owing chiefly to the efforts of the Hon. John Murray Forbes, which were generously supported by other citizens of Milton, the Academy was opened on a new site in September, 1885.
GROUNDS AND BUILDINGS
The Academy owns about one hundred acres of land in two tracts: the main tract of about eighty-seven acres, on which the campus and all the athletic fields are located, together with two skating ponds, and scattered bits of woodland; and an outlying tract of forested land near the Blue Hills, with an area of approximately thirteen acres.
The buildings of the Boys' School are grouped about the campus. They comprise two schoolhouses, Warren Hall and Wigglesworth Hall; the Chapel and the Library; three dormitories, Forbes House, Robbins House, and Wolcott House; the dining halls, central kitchen, and heating plant; the Robert Saltonstall Gymnasium; the baseball cagc; the Hughes Infirmary, and seven houses for members of the Faculty.
On the opposite side of Centre Street stands Harriet Ware Hall, a schoolhouse occupied jointly by the Girls' School and Lower School, and nearby on Gun Hill Street, is the Caroline Stevenson Saltonstall Gymnasium. To the south and west of this building lie athletic fields, and beyond them is Upton House, a residence for members of the Faculty.
THE THREE SCHOOLS
Milton Academy comprises a Lower School and two Upper Schools, one for boys and the other for girls.
The Lower School is for both boys and girls (day scholars only) from nine to twelve years of age, approximately, the course of study extending through three years.
The Boys' School admits both day scholars and boarding scholars. The coursc of study extends through six years, and is ordinarily begun at the age of twelve. Its completion constitutes preparation for the Comprehensive Examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board.
The Girls' School is for day scholars only. Here, also, the course of study occupies six years, and affords preparation for college. Special courses are open to those who do not intend to enter college.
Milton Academy is non-sectarian, but by tradition and action committed to those ideals of truth, reverence, and service which are the fundamental principles of Christianity.
No one is desired, or will be long retained, in the membership of the Academy who is not ready to enlist heartily in the work of the School, accepting the obligations of loyal cooperation between teacher and pupil, and preserving and extending the true spirit of democracy.
Application fob Admission Application for the admission of a pupil to any department of the Academy, either as day scholar or boarding scholar, should be executed on one of the forms provided for the purpose, and filed at least a year in advance of the date for which it is to be considered. Still earlier action is strongly advised; for while, in general, little regard is paid to the chronological order of the so-called "waiting list", it is occasionally necessary in deciding the claims of closely-matched rival candidates to give heed to priority of application.
These early applications are not contracts; they entail no obligation either upon the applicants or upon the School, but they serve as memoranda for the School's guidance in sending out announcements of courses of study, dates of examinations, etc.
Any parent or guardian who has entered a candidate's name upon the waiting list will be duly advised when the time comes for reaffirming the intention of sending the candidate to the School and for signing the customary reservation card. This action may be asked for at any time within the year preceding the date for which reservation of a place is found to be feasible. No advance assurance can be given that this date will be the one asked for in the application. Reservations thus effected arc conditioned upon the passing by each candidate of examinations for admission to an appropriate class.
1. "Milton Academy: History", Milton Academy, Milton, Massachusetts, Catalogue 1929-1930, pages 5-7.
See AlsoMilton Academy 1929-1930 Catalogue