When the stone building owned and occupied until recent years by William R. Camp was torn down, the first school building built by District No. 7 of the Town of Manchester passed away. The records of the school district show that in October, 1867, the property just mentioned was sold and a new site purchased of Thomas VanBuren. Upon this lot a new two-story brick school house was erected at once, at a cost of $3,187.00. Hiram L. Brown was at that time trustee of the district, and the contract for building was let to Roswell Sheffer. The teachers were Miss Dell A. Higgins and a Mrs. Warner. Among the names of teachers during the years when the birch rod reigned supreme, the records show the following: Anna Aldrich, Thomas Ansberger, M. P. Adams, James C. Jackson, E. D. Mather, Hattie A. Swick, Kate Whitlock, Lottie Fillmore, M. E. Westfall, Libbie Forshay, H. P. Wells, and John H. Stephens.
In 1886, during the term of Jerome H. Sisler as trustee, the demands for additional accommodations became urgent, and the old structure was torn down and a new building erected at a cost of $10,721.98. This is the middle section of the present building.
When Horace L. Clark was principal, the district voted at a special meeting, held July 27, 1892, to communicate with the Regents of the University of New York in order that the privileges of a Union School might accrue to its Academic department.
The first annual meeting following this action was held August 2, 1892, and the following Board of Education was elected: O. S. Titus, for one year; Charles M. Clarke, for two years, and E. B. Crain, for three years. Mr. Crain resigned at the expiration of a year and H. H. Huntington was elected to fill the vacancy.
On Monday, June 18, 1894, the first graduating exercises were held in the Presbyterian Church. The graduates of this year were: Clara E. Vandevort, Ollie R. Johnson and Roy H. Kipp.
At a special meeting held June 29, 1894. the district voted an appropriation of $4,500.00 for an addition to the building. This structure was completed and ready for occupancy in September following. After some years of service this addition is still standing as a part of the reconstructed building.
At a special meeting of School District No. 7 of the Town of Manchester, held February 13, 1914, it was voted to erect a new addition and improve the old building, and the sum of $40,000.00 was appropriated for that purpose.
The construction of the new addition was begun at once and in the Spring of 1915 the new building was ready for occupancy.
The school equipment of District No. 7 as it stands to-day is of the very best type to be found anywhere. The building with additions has seven grade rooms and office on the first floor. Five grade rooms, a high school room, two class rooms, library, teachers' room and an assembly room, capable of seating 350 people, occupy the second floor. On the third floor are located two ample laboratories. In the basement are located two class rooms, a gymnasium, boiler and ventilating rooms. There are toilets on all floors except the third.
The latest important step that involves District No. 7 is the purchase by the Board of Education of additional property for a playground. The acquisition of this land places the educational facilities of Shortsville on a higher plane of efficiency.
This wiki article is locked. If you have additional information (or a correction) that you would like to share, please send us a note.