Franklin and Marshall College, 1879, Overview
This Institution was founded at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1853, by the consolidation of two older Institutions—Franklin College, established in 1787, in the same place, mainly through the exertions of Dr. Benjamin Franklin, who also contributed liberally to its endowment, and Marshall College, founded in 1836, and translated for the purpose of this union from its old location at Mercersburg, Franklin county, Pa.
The main College building is located in the midst of a campus comprising twenty-two acres of ground on an eminence in the western portion of Lancaster city. On each side of this main building stand the two society halls, and some distance northward are located two large, substantial buildings; the one, Harbaugh Hall, used for rooming and boarding the students; the other, the Academy, occupied mainly by the Preparatory department. On these grounds are also located several dwellings, occupied by professors in the Theological Seminary. There are few colleges anywhere that have so fine a location and such beautiful grounds.
The location is sufficiently separated from the built up portions of the city to be retired, while it possesses all the advantages of one of the most prosperous inland cities in the state. The situation is healthful, and enjoys more than ordinary advantages in the way of communication in all directions by railroad and telegraph. In its accommodations and surroundings, it presents everything that could be desired in a literary Institution. The excellent markets and cheapness of living in Lancaster, present special inducements to young men who may seek to obtain a liberal education on limited means.
The College is enabled to furnish free tuition to all students who occupy scholarships, and as a consequence but few are required to be at any expense for this purpose. A reference to the necessary expenses elsewhere stated will serve to show that few Colleges anywhere present equal inducements in this respect.
1. "Franklin and Marshall College", Annual Catalogue of Franklin and Marshall College, and the Theological Seminary, Lancaster, PA. 1878-1879, page 15.
See AlsoFranklin and Marshall College 1878-1879 Catalogue
This wiki article is locked. If you have additional information (or a correction) that you would like to share, please send us a note.
<< Archived Materials