Edgerton Norwegian Lutheran Church, 1923, Historical Sketch
The first formal religious meeting of Norwegian Lutherans in Edgerton, Wis., was held in March, 1875, services being conducted by Reverend C. M. Hvistendahl.
The Edgerton Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was organized at the residence of John A. Johnson, December 31st, 1876, and John A. Johnson was elected trustee for the first year. The charter members of the: organization were as follows: Jacob Johnson and family, Ole Johnson and. family, Hans Loe and family, Nels Larson and family, Lars Engebretson and family, Andrew Jenson and family, Halvor Lintvedt and family, J. A. Johnson and family, Osmund Gunderson and family, Ole G. Hanson, Andrew Berry and Nels Loe.
At the annual meeting of the congregation held at the residence of Andrew Jenson, January 26th, 1884, Andrew Jenson, B. J. Barness, and H. O. Lintvedt were elected as trustees, Andrew Jenson presiding at the meeting, and John A. Johnson elected as secretary.
At that meeting it was decided, Andrew Jenson taking the lead, to build a church, the ground for which was broken in May, 1884, the building committee being Andrew Jenson, Halvor O. Lintvedt and B. J. Barness. The structure was completed the same year at a cost of $3,000, and the building was dedicated on December 21st, 1884. Rev, H. A. Preus delivered the dedicatory sermon, other pastors officiating being Professor H. S. Stub, Professor John Ylvisaker, and the pastor then serving the congregation, Rev. A. Brede-sen.
The little congregation was served by the following non-resident pastors: Rev. C. M. Hlistendahl, Rev. A. Bredesen and Prof. John Ylvisaker in the order named, until the Rev. J. E. Jorgenson was elected as resident pastor, he preaching his initial sermon to the congregation Nov. 4th, 1888.
The congregation has also been served by the following pastors: D. G. Ristad, 1892-1900, 1921-1922; J. Linnevold, 1900-1917; Emil A. Grefthen, 1917-1921, and E. A. Boyd from May 14, 1922- .
The history of this congregation is not complete without giving mention to those who in the formative period of it, as well as after its institution, won the everlasting regard of their associates by their Christian zeal, untiring efforts, and never ending sacrifices.
Those to whom this congregation desire to pay tribute are Jacob Johnson and his wife, Mattea Magdelena, and Andrew Jenson. The structure they reared is their monument.
In 1903 the parsonage was erected by the congregation.
In 1892 the land known as the Jenson Cemetery was donated by Andrew Jenson for the use of the congregation as a place of burial.
In 1905 the church edifice was enlarged to its present dimensions.
1. "Historical Sketch", by C. A. Hoen, Edgerton Norwegian Lutheran Church 1923 White Book, pages 4-5.
See AlsoEdgerton Norwegian Lutheran Church 1923 White Book
This wiki article is locked. If you have additional information (or a correction) that you would like to share, please send us a note.
<< Archived Materials