Damascus is pleasantly located on the line of Columbiana and Mahoning counties, eight miles east of Alliance, five miles west of Salem and one mile south of Garfield Station, on the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago railway.
The location is particularly healthful and the surroundings in the town of Damascus are only such as are conducive to good school work. Especial notice should be taken of the high moral standard and quietness of the place.
The people are industrious, intelligent and sociable, while the religious influences of the community are elevating and ennobling to those who may come within its influence. Four churches are supported, of which the Friends' Church is the largest. The others are the Methodist Episcopal, Wesleyan Methodist and the Society of Friends.
Nature has not been sparing of beauty in her benefits to the surrounding country which is considerably rolling. Looking in any direction you see apparently, a gentle rise dotted with thrifty farms and pleasant villages, while here and there ascends the smoke from manufacturing plants and railroad trains, the latter winding their way across the landscape.
The grounds consist of a large and grassy lawn, dotted here and there with trees, and containing base ball, foot ball, croquet and tennis grounds. A small stream running diagonally across, gives the grounds a natural and attractive appearance.
The school founded here in 1857 was, in 1885, regularly chartered under the laws of Ohio by the Friends' Church under whose control it has continued to the present time. A small endowment to which additions are occasionally made is evidence of the permanency of Damascus Academy.
The building is large, well lighted and pleasantly arranged. Some improvements within the present year add greatly to its attractiveness and convenience. It is hoped others can be made during the summer vacation.
The object of this institution is to establish students in habits of self-reliance and industry, to inculcate moral and religious practices, and to assist those who may come under its influence in becoming their own masters. In view of the above, the institution has adopted for its government the following requisitions: Regularity. Punctuality. No Immorality No Game of Chance. Observation of all required study hours. The use of Tobacco on the grounds is prohibited. Upon entering the Academy students will be required to furnish satisfactory evidence of good moral character; to arrange for the payment of their tuition; and to register as an evidence of their agreement to comply with the regulations of the Academy. It is very desirable that students should enter at the beginning of terms, but they will be admitted at any time. Students who intend to enter will confer a favor by informing the principal in advance. The Board of Trustees has passed a resolution that "when students do not commence until the second week of a term, are absent during the term (having entered for the term), or leave before the close of the term, for any cause but sickness, no deduction will be made in terms of tuition:" No deduction will be made for less than two consecutive weeks, and then only in case of sickness. Whenever, in the opinion of the faculty, a student's connection with the school is of no benefit to himself, and an injury to others, he will be required to withdraw. Earnest effort is made to inspire the student with diligence in study and good conduct, so that concern will not be necessary.
1. "General Information", Annual Catalogue of Damascus Academy, 1899-1900, Damascus, Ohio, pages 6-7.
See AlsoDamascus Academy 1899-1900 Catalogue
(Searchable)Damascus Academy 1900-1901 Catalogue
(Searchable)Damascus Academy 1906-1907 Catalogue